1859—The U.S. War Department appropriates funds for construction of a military road between Washington Territory and the Missouri River.
1862—The Mullan Military Road is completed.
1880—Improvements are made on sections of the old Mullan Road.
1893—The completion of the Great Northern Railroad through Montana decreases demand for an overland wagon route.
From the newspapers
- The Mullan Road, Montana Post, October 6, 1866, p. 2
- The Mullan Road, Montana Post, January 26, 1867, p. 1
- The Western Route, Montana Post, June 8, 1867, p. 1
- The Mullan Road, Montana Post, July 10, 1868, p. 8
- The Mullan Road, Montana Post, January 15, 1869, p. 1
- Territorial News, Rocky Mountain Husbandman, September 18, 1879, p. 2
Search for the following terms in combination, proximity, or as phrases: mullan, mullan road, western slope
To find more
Written by Catherine W. Ockey